What a difference a year makes!
As I celebrate another birthday and look back on my commitment to get “leaner and greener,” I see that my family and I have made some real strides! We discovered that our new consciousness to be more fit and environmentally-friendly has influenced our family and friends as well! When we talk about our journey, people want to know how they can make these changes too.
Here are 5 suggestions that worked for us:
- Keep it moving: Life can be busy, so you need to build fitness into your lifestyle. The benefits have been incredible- including weight loss and even saving a life! We continue to wear our pedometers and encourage each other to keep moving.
- Plan ahead: Plan your meals for the week. Our #MealPrepSundays resulted in more healthy meals, as well as quality time together. We made time to plan, shop and prepare healthier food as a family. We learned that planning our meals meant fewer trips to the grocery store.
- Manage wasted food: Make better use of the food you have! For instance, take leftovers to work, organize your refrigerator and make “refrigerator soup,” or try composting inedible food and scraps. We bought a composter and were stunned at the amount of food that could be composted instead of sent to landfills.
- Use resources wisely: We ditched the individual water bottles for reusable bottles, and switched from plastic bags to reusable bags at the grocery store.
- Connect with local farmers: There are many ways to connect to where your food comes from. Try growing a garden or shop at farmer’s markets and talk to the farmers that grow and sell the food! You could also order food from CSA, or better yet, stop by a farm!
Small changes can make a big difference. This year, our family will continue our commitment to be leaner and greener and deepen our understanding and appreciation of food and the farmers that make it possible. We hope you will too!
Leave a Reply